Become a Tutor
Welcome to the Tutor/Instructor page!
Current Tutors/Instructors log-in click here.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Literacy Council of Sarasota. Shocking, but true, one in five residents in Sarasota County cannot read, write, or do basic math above the third grade level. We need your help to address this problem and help adults in our community live better, more productive lives.
The Literacy Council was established in 1978 as a grass roots effort to improve adult literacy in our community through an “each one, teach one” approach.
Our greatest need for volunteers is to help provide one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction to basic education and ESL (English as a second language) adult learners. In addition, we are expanding our small group instruction with community partners for both ESL and GED-prep.
No previous teaching or tutoring experience is required to become a volunteer tutor. We do require that all tutors complete our ProLiteracy-Certified Tutor Training. Click here for the 2020 Tutor Training Schedule.
How do you become a tutor? It’s simple:
- Fill out a tutor registration form by clicking here.
- There is a one-time $25 registration fee to cover the cost of books and materials.
- Attend three six-hour ProLiteracy-Certified tutor training workshops.
- Once trained, you select an adult learner with whom you’ll meet with for a minimum of 90 minutes per week.
- A tutor and learner pick the best day and time of the week to meet based on their respective schedules.
- Tutors and learners typically meet in a library, community center, or other public place that is convenient to both of them.
- Tutors receive ongoing support from LCS staff, who are always available to answer questions, provide resources, troubleshoot, etc.
- Questions? Please contact Susan Bergstrom, Program Director, at 941-955-0421, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.